Saturday, June 12, 2010

Man versus Food

Back in my party days I was a food challenge guy....mostly hot wing challenges. Most memorable was at a bar called the Noisy Oyster in Merriman Valley, Ohio. Their suicide wing challenge was tingly but left my brow dry, even after the 10th and final wing. I was deemed "the man" by several friends who couldn't believe what they saw. The cook had to have held back some habenero sauce from the mixture. Who knows?

Today I am no longer "the man" but "the food czar". I like this nickname; it was given to me by Tiffany who also proclaims that I have job security every time a spread of bad grub makes an appearance on special occasions. This name is announced whenever I make an appearance from the dungeon to the office. Phrases like "What did the Czar say when he saw you with that doughnut?" has been heard on many occasions.

Everyone knows the Czar is not a fan of restaurants and the excessive eating outside of the home that American society is attracted to. I am constantly being invited to lunch, which I appreciate, however do not believe in. Yesterday was my first time eating lunch in a restaurant during a given weekday in over a year.

Bart has been bugging me to go to eat with him at a burger joint called Joe Mommas and at the Thai Place in Millbrook, Alabama. I love Thai so finally I caved and we set our lunch for Friday the 11th. I further enhanced this lunch by boasting of my younger food challenge days, knowing that Bart has the gregarious personality that pours fuel on the fire. He challenged me to their 6 star (the hottest sauce on the menu) spice and I agreed.

When we were ordering the waitress indicated that the hottest is not on the menu and is an 8 star spice. Bart did not know this and proceeded to nag me into the eating the 8 star. Why not?
I still got it as if I were in my 20's. The spice was good, you could taste the food but was not close to the hottest food I had ever eaten. Bart was impressed and indicated that he did see my eyes water a little bit.

My meal came with chicken, vegetables, rice, and a small spring roll. I ordered the meal minus the rice and offered my spring roll to Derek, another eating companion. You see, even when you fall off the wagon and eat in a manner that you do not believe in or conflicts with your eating plan, you must limit yourself. If you are on a business lunch you do not want to be the sap that orders a salad without dressing because you don't want to ruin your diet; but you can modify your order. This is the key to living a life of restaurant eating. Rice and a spring roll provide me with nothing that enhances my day but sluggishness.

Fridays workout

I had time for a brief one:

21-15-9 of:
1a. KB Snatch
1b. Push Ups
* Perform snatch reps on each side...21 e; 15 e, and 9 e; to make this workout more effective perform all snatch sets with one hand transfer and do not set the bell down until all reps are completed.

4 comments:

  1. Mark,

    That Thai place is the best Thai I've had, and that includes several times in Asia itself. I'm impressed you hadndled the 8* with ease; the 3* is too much for me.

    Personally, I'm now down 15lbs since I left AL and haven't been this light (217) since early 2006. And my lifts are still going up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear that post Air Force life is going well. Good job on everything. Keep moving.

    I ran into Jim and Lanier Marshall at the restaurant. Am hoping Jim is going to train with Ken on Saturdays....he could fill your void..;-). Gwen reminded me the other day that our little gym once had 72 clients at one time. All in that little 700 sq. foot hole. Hard to believe.

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Little gym, but with big attitude and bigger (better) trainers/coaches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Noisy Oyster is still alive in the Valley

    ReplyDelete