Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Turkish Get Up and ACL injuries?


Really? How does a movement intended to stabilize the musculo-skeletal system lead to ACL injuries? Well...


A client informed me that his surgeon friend evaluated 2 ACL tears in individulas while performing TGU's. My response....NONSENSE....UNLESS...


1. The TGU was the straw that broke the camels' back. Meaning the tears were waiting to happen and the movement climaxed the tear. Even in this instance it does not make sense to me...ASSUMING the correct TGU protocol was followed.


2a. The victims were not following the appropriate TGU movement protocol


2b. The victims used too much weight to fast, probably while not following the correct TGU protocol.


Whatever the reason, the higher ups of the RKC and other reputable organizations establish a protocol for a reason. Injury prevention is the main reason. The bbottom line.....


FOLLOW THE PROTOCOL! I don't care how cool you look doing massive weight or doing funky style get ups before you are ready. Learn the protocol and live the protocol before you attempt to advance. Here is my example:


I started back doing get ups with the coming of the New Year. At my own admission and fault, they had been written out of my training for December. How did I activate these stabilizers?


With a 16kg bell I performed 20 total TGU's in about 30 minutes. With each get up I held the position for a 10 count (in my own head). Talk about major concentration vibes! A 16 kg TGU is about 30-35% of the mass that I can use to complete 1 TGU at maximal effort.


I will have more about this in the very near future.


7 comments:

  1. IMHO the most important aspect of the TGU is the movement pattern itself. The least important is the Maximal load. I haven't done ANY get ups at all with more than 53 lbs in 8 months. Slow and with purpose as you've so clearly stated.

    The best,

    Sandy Sommer RKC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't aggree more! It's a wonderful, super challenging movement that requires RESPECT.

    I oft joke that TGUs should be done as if with a fishbowl filled with live fish: slowly SLOWLY and with absolute concentration.

    (Sandy, all that said, I still want a 100lb TGU something fierce! ;->)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seen two disappointing situations in the last year. To me the 2nd is worse.
    1) Injuries that could've been prevented by following simple instructions--in & out of the gym!
    2) Professionals in the medical field making false statements due to being ignorant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd be curious to know the conditioning state of the individuals. I deal with many highly deconditioned people where the full get-up (unweighted) is not appropriate. If an individual struggles with a squat, asking them to do any type of lunge movement to stand is inappropriate. Double leg strength must be built to an appropriate level before the full get-up can be performed correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If the getup caused the injury, then I suppose my keyboard causes my spelling errors.

    Andrew, I agree that full-range unweighted may not be appropriate for severely deconditioned.

    Can you futher explainh the "squat before lunge" rationale. I may be misinterpreting what you say, but going from seated on the floor to standing, the most natural pattern is a split stance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dave and Andrew I agree 100% with what ur both saying. One must crawl before walk and walk before run.

    I am a firm, firm believer that if u cannot do something with simply ur bodyweight with perfect form execution then u have absolutely zero business doing the same movement, or ones which are more advanced, with any amount of weight.

    Great post!

    Bob Garon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dave, I also teach the split squat/lunge stance to my clients because, like you, it is the most natural. What I have found is that split/lunge position takes great balance and strength. I have clients who struggle with parallel bodyweight squats. Therefore putting them in a more challenging position when they are clearly not capable would ill advised.

    ReplyDelete