Friday, February 12, 2010

The Piriformis/Piriformis Syndrome







My approach to training has mellowed as I age. Joint mobility and human functional movements are replacing the guerrilla warfare grip it and rip it workouts.

My second knee surgery was in May of 2008 and was 20 years after my first surgery on the same lateral meniscus. A minor surgery however very unpleasant when you wait 15 years by "living with it" and develop poor gait habits. Today I have no lateral meniscus and a slightly lower bottom position while squatting.

I have always been an external rotator, meaning my muscles of the hip externally rotate the femur when walking. Through my 15 years of poor gait that external rotation was more and more pronounced. After surgery, when I began walking again I developed a severe pain in my hip muscle and accompanying sciatica down my right leg. Years of accelerated external rotation and the hip overcompensating for the lack of post surgical knee support culminated with an inflammation of a muscle in the hip; an inflammation that led to pressure on the Sciatic nerve causing the sciatica. The problem is similar to sciatica developed in the low back, just a different location.

This was my introduction to the Piriformis muscle and Piriformis Syndrome. Professionally it was the best thing that could have happened. I learned that if I did not pay attention to my joints and muscle preparation I would not be efficient with my clients or in my own training.

Since May of 2008 I have come across many people with similar problems. The signs and symptoms of an external rotater are: foot/feet pointing laterally instead of straight ahead, pain or rubber band feeling in the pirformis muscle, and sciatica. To test yourself perform the piriformis stretch (pictured) or the pigeon pose stretch. In most instances, people have an imbalance on one side....one side will be tighter than the other. These stretches are staples in our warmup regimen. I recommend them daily.

1 comment:

  1. Great post Mark. I have a friend that does Myofascial Release Massage he wrote a book and does seminars on it. If you could get me your email address I'll email you a copy of his book in a PDF format. You might also want to invest in a Trigger Point kit. His website is www.networkfitness.com

    ReplyDelete