Saturday, February 20, 2010

Training for the TSC? Use the RSR!


Last year (April, 2009) I competed in the Tactical Strength Challenge, or TSC. A great event to participate in using it as a goal in your training, particularly if you are Hardstyle! I tested my deadlift in late December, 2008 and it sucked by my standards....385 lbs. I found it ridiculous that I could not lift 2X my bodyweight (195) for this lift.


I consulted one of my training mentors and he suggested applying the Russian Squat Regimen (RSR). RSR is a very aggressive approach to increasing your squat. When applied to the deadlift I discovered it to be very effective. In fact, the article of reference my mentor referred me to was written by Brett Jones, Master RKC and was titled "Programming for the Deadlift". In this article Brett identifies several programs for increasing your deadlift. We ultimately decided that we start with the pre-RSR, a five week program. After the pre-RSR, I would break for a couple weeks of maintenance then attempt the 6 week RSR.


I began the pre-RSR in January. My DL improved 15 pounds to 400; this was somewhat disappointing because I had heard of 50 pound increase stories from people. After a two week break, a break that was used for rest and maintenance I began the RSR.


The RSR was much more challenging. After the 6 week program the competition was the following Saturday. I max tested at 435 on Monday, then ultimately 450 the day of the competition (Saturday). The program worked for me to a tune of a 65 pound increase.


The beautiful thing about the RSR protocol is that it is built on FOUNDATION and the PRINCIPLES of the lift, not necessarily lifting heavy. You will perform a multitude of deadlifts during this program. This repetition will eventually translate into getting your body in tune with the bar as one unit.


Since April of 2009 I have had nothing but success when I aplly the RSR to both my advanced and intermediate clients. Deadlift maxes have increased in these people from 25 to 85 pounds when we apply this program. I believe it is a good idea to begin with the pre RSR because most people are not accustomed to the amount of volume the RSR will provide.


If you are competing in the TSC this April then the timing is perfect to get on this program. I am attaching the links for your reference to Brett's article and the TSC homepage.


Good, solid training to everyone!




No comments:

Post a Comment